Thank you for your interest in the Tattered Cover as a possible place of employment. Because any employment decision is a very important one, we'd like to give you some basic information about working here that might influence your decision even before you take the time to fill out our rather lengthy application.
We need employees who are able to work evenings and weekends on a regular, not rotating, basis. Benefits include health, dental and vision insurance, paid time off, discounts on merchandise, a bus pass, and a 401(k) plan.
The work is customer-oriented, very detailed, and sometimes physically demanding. Most of us spend long hours on our feet. Dust and printer's ink are part of our daily environment, and applicants must have an adaptable nature because job descriptions here are often loose.
As our hiring needs constantly fluctuate, up-to-date information about job opportunities is available by calling (303) 322-1965 ext. 1799.
Current position available:
ASPEN GROVE BOOKSTORE MANAGER
Tattered Cover seeks a Bookstore Manager for its Aspen Grove (Littleton, CO) location. The Tattered Bookstore Manager is a leadership position that is responsible for all aspects of managing a full service retail bookstore. The Bookstore Manager reports to the Retail Operations Manager, and is expected to engender enthusiasm, organization, and creativity amongst the staff. The Bookstore Manager is also expected to foster the atmosphere of world class customer service that has been the bedrock of Tattered Cover’s success, and to create an experience that will have customers wanting to return to the store over and over again.
Specific job duties include but are not limited to:
- Working with the Retail Operations Manager and the general management team to implement policies, procedures, promotions, etc., to help make the store a success.
- Working with the Retail Operations Manager and the general management team to monitor the store finances, including sales and payroll hours.
- A thorough understanding of the duties and responsibilities of the bookseller position, and an ability to perform those duties and responsibilities to high standards. This includes all facets of customer service; using the point of sale system to ring sales, accept customer returns, etc.; shelving; counting inventory; and hosting events.
- Staff management, including: scheduling, training, conducting performance reviews, and growing and nurturing staff to be successful booksellers.
- Developing a familiarity with inventory to be able to guide staff and serve customers in a positive manner.
- Facilitating an environment and systems for good customer and staff communications.
- Uniformly communicating changes in procedures, policies, and offerings to staff, and keeping all store reference materials consistent and up-to-date.
- Providing a thoughtful and creative merchandising approach, and implementing merchandising strategies set by the buying, marketing, and general management teams.
- Cooperating with the marketing dept. on author appearances and other in-store events.
- Overseeing store-specific inventory, including conducting cycle counts and ensuring discrepancies are corrected.
- Overseeing routine maintenance of the physical space and making arrangements for repairs when needed.
- Management experience in retail bookselling
- Proficiency with computers, Google docs, and spreadsheets
- Ability to work independently and problem solve
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, and an easy-going manner.
This is a full-time position with the expectation that the person selected will work over-time when necessary. Schedule flexibility and the ability to work weekends, early mornings and/or late evening shifts are a must.
Interested applicants should send a cover letter and resume to Kathy.email@example.com. Applications must be received by Friday, July 20.