Quick links to what's on this page: Teen Newsletter -- Teen Advisory Board -- Colorado Teen Book Con -- Teen Writing Group -- Teen Open Mic Night -- Author Visits in Schools -- Upcoming Events for Fans of YA Fiction -- Teen Book Reviews
Don't miss a thing... Sign up now! (Select Events & Reviews for Teens and YA Fans) Why did we create a Teen Newsletter? Because Tattered Cover loves teen readers, readers of teen fiction, and because we have so many amazing things going that we just need to share. Read past issues: March 2016 (our first issue!), April 2016 issue, May 2016, June 2016, July 2016, August 2016, September 2016, October 2016, November 2016, December 2016, January 2017, February 2017, March 2017, April 2017, May 2017, June 2017, July 2017, August 2017, September 2017, October 2017, November 2017.
This is a group of book-loving teens who meet every month or so to plan and produce programming for anyone excited about YA literature. Board members have the opportunity to use their creativity, social media skills, and enthusiasm for books to help with all aspects of event promotion, planning, and execution; introduce (and hang out with) authors at events; write book blurbs; give book talks; get FREE advanced reading copies; and even help select authors who come to the store for events or visit schools. It's fun, rewarding, and a great resumé builder. We currently meet at our Aspen Grove location; but are aiming to have groups meet at our Colfax and LoDo locations, too. This is open to teens 13+ who are in at least 8th grade. Please read our TAB Information & Application PDF. For more information or to sign up for the TAB, email Kristen Gilligan. (And tell your bookish friends!) (If applying, PLEASE send your application electronically, eith as a PDF, put the answers in the body o the email, etc. Things mailed to me take a VERY long time to reach me, and I don't want to keep you waiting!!)
Tattered Cover presented the inaugural Colorado Teen Book Con! Saturday, October 15, 2016 at Littleton High School in Littleton, CO. It was a full day event with two keynote presentations, a bunch of author panels, and a big author signing party at the end of the day. And food trucks. Of course, food trucks. Books were for sale throughout the day. Check out some feedback and photos on our Colorado Teen Book Con webpage. Watch here for 2018 event details!
Teens come together to share and critique writing, often with a nationally published young adult author as a mentor and participant. An incredible opportunity for aspiring teen writers! Free and open exclusively to teens.
Tattered Cover Aspen Grove: This group meets that last Sunday of each month. This is free and open exclusively to teens. Email Kristen to RSVP.
- Sunday, November 26: Teen Writing Group; 2pm at Tattered Cover Aspen Grove. Email Kristen to RSVP.
- Sunday, December 31: Teen Writing Group; 2pm at Tattered Cover Aspen Grove. Email Kristen to RSVP.
Tattered Cover Colfax: We meet in the Orchestra Pit of the Colfax store. This is free and open exclusively to teens. Please email Kristen to RSVP.
- This group will meet again soon. Please watch this space for dates!!
- Saturday, November 25: YA Author Jessica Brody's Book Launch Party in conjunction with Indies First Day for The Chaos of Standing Still; 2pm at Tattered Cover Aspen Grove
- ABOUT The Chaos of Standing Still: Set entirely in our very own Denver International Airport in a blizzard!! Over the course of one chaotic night stranded at the Denver airport, Ryn confronts her shattered past thanks to the charm of romance, the uniqueness of strangers, and the magic of ordinary places in this stunning novel from the author of Boys of Summer. Ryn has one unread text message on her phone. And it's been there for almost a year. She hasn't tried to read it. She can't. She won't. Because that one message is the last thing her best friend ever said to her before she died. But as Ryn finds herself trapped in the Denver International Airport on New Year's Eve thanks to a never-ending blizzard on the one-year anniversary of her best friend's death, fate literally runs into her. And his name is Xander. When the two accidentally swap phones, Ryn and Xander are thrust into the chaos of an unforgettable all-night adventure, filled with charming and mysterious strangers, a secret New Year's Eve bash, and a possible Illuminati conspiracy hidden within the Denver airport. But as the bizarre night continues, all Ryn can think about is that one unread text message. It follows her wherever she goes, because Ryn can't get her brialliantly wild and free-spirited best friend out of her head. Ryn can't move on. But tonight, for the first time ever, she's trying. And maybe that's a start. As moving as it is funny, The Chaos of Standing Still is a heartwarming story about the earth-shattering challenges life throws at us--and the unexpected strangers who help us along the way.
- ABOUT JESSICA BRODY: Jessica Brody knew from a young age that she wanted to be a writer. She started self “publishing” her own books when she was seven years old, binding the pages together with cardboard, wallpaper samples, and electrical tape. After graduating from Smith College in 2001 where she double majored in Economics and French and minored in Japanese, Jessica later went on to work for MGM Studios as a Manager of Acquisitions and Business Development. In May of 2005, Jessica quit her job to follow her dream of becoming a published author. Since then, Jessica has sold over twelve novels for teens, tweens, and adults including 52 Reasons to Hate My Father, The Karma Club, My Life Undecided, and the three books in the Unremembered trilogy, the first of which is currently in development as a major motion picture by the producers of The Vampire Academy, Zero Dark Thirty, Life of Pi, and Slumdog Millionaire. In 2016, she will release two new contemporary novels, A Week of Mondays (August) and Boys of Summer (April), and in 2017, her debut middle grade novel entitled, Addie Bell’s Shortcut to Growing Up, will hit bookstore shelves. Jessica also writes books for the Descendants: “School of Secrets” series, based on the hit Disney Channel Original movie, Descendants! Jessica’s books are published and translated in over twenty foreign countries.
- Tuesday, November 28: YA Author Mindy McGinnis with This Darkness Mine; 7pm at Tattered Cover Aspen Grove
- ABOUT This Darkness Mine: Mindy McGinnis, award-winning author of The Female of the Species and A Madness So Discreet, returns with a new dark and twisted psychological thriller--perfect for fans of Gone Girl and Fight Club. Sasha Stone knows her place--first-chair clarinet, top of her class, and at the side of her Oxford-wearing boyfriend. She's worked her entire life to ensure her path to Oberlin Conservatory as a star musician is perfectly paved. But suddenly there's a fork in the road in the shape of Isaac Harver. Her body shifts toward him when he walks by, and her skin misses his touch even though she's never known it. Why does he act like he knows her so well--too well--when she doesn't know him at all? Sasha discovers that her by-the-book life began by ending the chapter of another: the twin sister she absorbed in the womb. But that doesn't explain the gaps of missing time in her practice schedule, or the memories she has of things she certainly never did with Isaac. Armed with the knowledge that her heart might not be hers alone, Sasha must decide what she's willing to do--and who she's willing to hurt--to take it back.
- ABOUT MINDY MCGINNIS: Mindy McGinnis is an Edgar Award-winning author and assistant teen librarian who lives in Ohio. She graduated from Otterbein University with a degree in English Literature and Religion, and sees nothing wrong with owning nine cats. Two dogs balance things out nicely. Mindy runs a blog for aspiring writers at Writer, Writer Pants on Fire, which features interviews with agents, established authors, and debut authors. Learn how they landed their agents, what the submission process is really like, and how it feels when you see your cover for the first time. Mindy does query critiques every Saturday on the Saturday Slash for those who are brave enough to volunteer.
- Saturday, December 9: YA Author Tom Lamarr with Zero Gravity; 7pm at Tattered Cover Colfax
- ABOUT Zero Gravity: In a world where gravity is losing strength and “lightweights” suddenly vanish into the sky, it’s survival of the fattest for bulky Adam Weaver and his family. With Zero G seemingly imminent, the Weavers embark on a dangerous journey to reach and board NASA’s Ark, a massive space craft that represents the last hope for Earth’s survivors. Is there really a spaceship? Will the Weavers gain passage? And can a kid who once got picked on for being overweight prove that heroes come in all sizes? With danger in every encounter, theirs is a quest like no other, taking readers to new heights of adventure and imagination. So hold on tight and get ready to experience Zero Gravity! “Zero Gravity is The Hunger Games with twice the humor and heart as well as a mind-bending premise. It’s an adventure fantasy that lifts off with all cylinders blazing and never lets up.” – Timothy Hillmer, author of Ravenhill
- ABOUT TOM LAMARR: After growing up on a bluff overlooking the Mississippi River in Dubuque, Iowa, Tom lived and worked in Council Bluffs and Des Moines, then Jacksonville, Florida, and the District of Columbia. He studied at the University of Iowa Fiction Writers Workshop, and has called Colorado home for more than two decades.
- Thursday, January 4: YA Author Jennifer Alsever with Oshun Rising: Trinity Forest Book 2; 7pm at Tattered Cover LoDo
- ABOUT Oshun Rising: Trinity Forest Book 2: OSHUN has everything a young pop star could ever want--fame, fortune, and beauty to spare. But there's something dark inside of her, rising like the tide, fighting to be heard. Something that terrifies her. Because once she lets it out, she knows there's no going back. EMBER is drowning. Fighting for consciousness, struggling to make sense of the strange dreams she's been having--prophecies of murder, deception, and blackmail. But once she begins to untangle them, she realizes that they might not be dreams at all...and if she doesn't find a way to stop what she's seeing, more people will die. MADDIE is barely staying afloat. How can she be expected to care about school when her best friend Ember is still missing, presumed dead? So when Ember's brother calls and tells her about his theory about a pop star who may be involved in Ember's disappearance, she rallies him to take a road trip to check it out.
- ABOUT JENNIFER ALSEVER: A teenager still lives inside me. After two decades of working as a journalist, writing serious news for such publications as Fortune Magazine, the Wall Street Journal and the New York Times, I finally let my imagination run wild in 2015. The result is Ember's story told in the three-book Trinity Forest series, www.trinityforestseries.com. I live near Vail, Colorado, and when I'm not absorbed in writing or reading, I like a good hike, doing yoga, hanging with my boys, some moguls on skis, a rigorous mountain bike ride or the simple pleasures of life. My favorites: untouched snow, frozen chocolate chips, savasina on my yoga mat and even bowls of pan fried brussels sprouts.
- Thursday, January 18: EPIC READS TOUR! YA Author Panel with Kasie West, Colleen Oakes, Maureen Johnson and Sara Holland; 7pm at Tattered Cover Aspen Grove
- ABOUT Love, Life and The List: What do you do when you've fallen for your best friend? Funny and romantic, this effervescent story about family, friendship, and finding yourself is perfect for fans of Sarah Dessen and Jenny Han. Seventeen-year-old Abby Turner's summer isn't going the way she'd planned. She has a not-so-secret but definitely unrequited crush on her best friend, Cooper. She hasn't been able to manage her mother's growing issues with anxiety. And now she's been rejected from an art show because her work "has no heart." So when she gets another opportunity to show her paintings, Abby isn't going to take any chances. Which is where the list comes in. Abby gives herself one month to do ten things, ranging from face a fear (#3) to learn a stranger's story (#5) to fall in love (#8). She knows that if she can complete the list, she'll become the kind of artist she's always dreamed of being. But as the deadline approaches, Abby realizes that getting through the list isn't as straightforward as it seems . . . and that maybe--just maybe--she can't change her art if she isn't first willing to change herself.
- ABOUT KASIE WEST: Kasie West is the author of several YA novels, including The Distance Between Us, On the Fence, The Fill-in Boyfriend, P.S. I Like You, Lucky in Love, and By Your Side. Her books have been named as ALA Quick Picks for Reluctant Readers and as YALSA Best Books for Young Adults. Kasie lives in Fresno, California with her family.
- ABOUT War of the Cards: Colleen Oakes's twisted reimagining of the Queen of Hearts origin story comes to a thrilling conclusion in War of the Cards. Dinah has lost everyone she ever loved. Her brother was brutally murdered. The wicked man she believed was her father betrayed her. Her loyal subjects have been devastated by war. And the boy she gave her heart to broke it completely. Now a dark queen has risen out of the ashes of her former life. Fury is blooming inside Dinah, poisoning her soul and twisting her mind. All she has left is Wonderland and her crown, and her obsession to fight for both. But the war rages on and Dinah could inherit a blood-stained throne. Can a leader filled with love and rage ever be the ruler her kingdom needs? Or will her all-consuming wrath bring Wonderland to its knees? This is not a story of happily ever after. This is the story of the Queen of Hearts.
- ABOUT COLLEEN OAKES: Colleen Oakes is the author of books for both teens and adults, including YA fantasy retellings The Queen of Hearts saga and the Wendy Darling saga, and the Elly in Bloom series which is women's fiction. She lives in North Denver with her husband and son and surrounds herself with the most lovely family and friends imaginable. When not writing or plotting new books, Colleen can be found swimming, traveling and totally immersing herself in nerdy pop culture. She currently at work on another YA fantasy series and a stand-alone YA novel.
- ABOUT Truly Devious: A Mystery: New York Times bestselling author Maureen Johnson weaves a delicate tale of murder and mystery in the first book of a striking new series, perfect for fans of Agatha Christie and E. Lockhart. Ellingham Academy is a famous private school in Vermont for the brightest thinkers, inventors, and artists. It was founded by Albert Ellingham, an early twentieth century tycoon, who wanted to make a wonderful place full of riddles, twisting pathways, and gardens. "A place," he said, "where learning is a game." Shortly after the school opened, his wife and daughter were kidnapped. The only real clue was a mocking riddle listing methods of murder, signed with the frightening pseudonym "Truly, Devious." It became one of the great unsolved crimes of American history. True-crime aficionado Stevie Bell is set to begin her first year at Ellingham Academy, and she has an ambitious plan: She will solve this cold case. That is, she will solve the case when she gets a grip on her demanding new school life and her housemates: the inventor, the novelist, the actor, the artist, and the jokester. But something strange is happening. Truly Devious makes a surprise return, and death revisits Ellingham Academy. The past has crawled out of its grave. Someone has gotten away with murder. The two interwoven mysteries of this first book in the Truly Devious series dovetail brilliantly, and Stevie Bell will continue her relentless quest for the murderers in books two and three.
- ABOUT MAUREEN JOHNSON: Maureen knew from an early age she wanted to be a writer. She went to high school at an all-girls' Catholic school and graduated from University of Delaware with a degree in writing. She now lives and writes in New York City. Many of the adventures Maureen's characters face in her books are based on real-life stories. Maureen has traveled all over Europe, and is a Secret Sister to vlog brothers Hank and John Green.
- ABOUT Everless: "Sara Holland is a fierce storyteller. Everless gives new and terrifying meaning to the phrase running out of time." -- Stephanie Garber, New York Times bestselling author of Caraval. In the kingdom of Sempera, time is currency--extracted from blood, bound to iron, and consumed to add time to one's own lifespan. The rich aristocracy, like the Gerlings, tax the poor to the hilt, extending their own lives by centuries. No one resents the Gerlings more than Jules Ember. A decade ago, she and her father were servants at Everless, the Gerlings' palatial estate, until a fateful accident forced them to flee in the dead of night. When Jules discovers that her father is dying, she knows that she must return to Everless to earn more time for him before she loses him forever. But going back to Everless brings more danger--and temptation--than Jules could have ever imagined. Soon she's caught in a tangle of violent secrets and finds her heart torn between two people she thought she'd never see again. Her decisions have the power to change her fate--and the fate of time itself. Fans of Victoria Aveyard, Kendare Blake, and Stephanie Garber will devour this lush novel's breathtaking action, incredible romance, and dangerous secrets.
- ABOUT SARA HOLLAND: Sara Holland grew up in small-town Minnesota among hundreds of books. She graduated from Wesleyan University and worked in a tea shop, a dentist’s office, and a state capitol building before heading to New York to work in publishing. These days, she can be found exploring the city’s bookstores or finding new ways to put caffeine in her bloodstream. Everless is her debut novel.
- Sunday, January 21, 2018: An Afternoon Book Talk with Pierce Brown and Iron Gold: A Red Rising Novel; Book Talk, Presentation and Signing; 2pm at Tattered Cover Colfax; Please join Tattered Cover for a special afternoon with New York Times bestselling science fiction author Pierce Brown in honor of his eagerly anticipated new book Iron Gold: A Red Rising Novel, book four of the Red Rising saga. Signing line tickets are $28 (plus tax and convenience fee), and include a copy of Iron Gold: A Red Rising Novel, and a priority place in the signing line. Seating for the presentation prior to the signing is available on a first-come, first-served basis. Ticketed customers will be lined up by letter groups following the presentation to get books signed. Those attending without a ticket/book purchased from the Tattered Cover may access the signing line after all ticketed customers.
- ABOUT Iron Gold: A Red Rising Novel: #1 New York Times bestselling author Pierce Brown expands the size and scope of his Red Rising Trilogy for the epic next chapter in his "haunting space opera." -- Entertainment Weekly. They call him father, liberator, warlord, Slave, Reaper. But he feels a boy as he falls toward the war-torn planet, his armor red, his army vast, his heart heavy. It is the tenth year of war and the thirty-third of his life.A decade ago Darrow was the hero of the revolution he believed would break the chains of the Society. But the Rising has shattered everything: Instead of peace and freedom, it has brought endless war. Now he must risk all he has fought for on one last desperate mission. Darrow still believes he can save everyone, but can he save himself? And throughout the worlds, other destinies entwine with Darrow's to change his fate forever: A young Red girl flees tragedy in her refugee camp, and achieves for herself a new life she could never have imagined. An ex-soldier broken by grief is forced to steal the most valuable thing in the galaxy--or pay with his life. And Lysander au Lune, the heir in exile to the sovereign, wanders the stars with his mentor, Cassius, haunted by the loss of the world that Darrow transformed, and dreaming of what will rise from its ashes. Red Rising was the story of the end of one universe, and Iron Gold is the story of the creation of a new one. Witness the beginning of a stunning new saga of tragedy and triumph from masterly New York Times bestselling author Pierce Brown.
- ABOUT Pierce Brown: Pierce Brown is the #1 New York Times bestselling author of Red Rising, Golden Son, Morning Star, and Iron Gold. His work has been published in thirty-three languages and thirty-five territories. He lives in Los Angeles, where he is at work on his next novel.
We're giving YOU the mic.
Support your friends as they get their creative on.
Do something unique and fun: sing, play an instrument, recite poetry, read an original work of fiction, do stand-up comedy, or anything else that you have a burning desire to share with the world.
Plus, we have a café serving hot and cold beverages, and snacks! We'll be announcing the next date soon. Watch for it!
I mean, who doesn't love a school assembly? Seriously though, Tattered Cover can bring an author into your school to speak to smaller groups of English or writing classes, or a full school-wide assembly. The best part is that's there no cost to the school -- and there's even a fundraising component where your school can earn some money back! If this sounds interesting, just connect us with your school librarian or principal. (Send an email to Kristen Gilligan with your school librarian and/or principal's contact info.)
Have you ever walked through a bookstore and seen little cards sticking out of shelves under books with book reviews? Have those reviews ever made you want to buy a book?
Those cards are called shelf talkers, and we're looking for teens to write shelf talkers for their favorite books. Your friends and family -- and a lot of fellow readers looking for the perfect book -- can see your reviews on the shelves at Tattered Cover. How cool is that?
To write a review: Books can be old or new — they just need to be young adult. Reviews should be between 40-60 words. Write 1-2 sentences on what the book is about, then another 1-2 sentences on why you loved it/why you think others will love it. If it works, please also say something like, "If you liked xxx book, you'll love this one." or "If you love xxx author, you'll love this one." Please only write reviews for books you loved and are passionate about. Please send your review in an email to Kristen Gilligan with "Teen Book Review" in the subject line. We publish them on our website on the book's page, create shelf talkers in our stores and send the review to the publisher.