Thank you for your interest in the Tattered Cover as a possible place of employment. Because any employment decision is a very important one, we'd like to give you some basic information about working here that might influence your decision even before you take the time to fill out our application.
We need employees who are able to work evenings and weekends on a regular, not rotating, basis. Benefits include health, dental and vision insurance, paid time off, discounts on merchandise, a bus pass, and a 401(k) plan.
The work is customer-oriented, very detailed, and sometimes physically demanding. Most of us spend long hours on our feet. Dust and printer's ink are part of our daily environment, and applicants must have an adaptable nature because job descriptions here are often loose.
Working in retail and on-site can be challenging in these unprecedented times of COVID and the national health crisis. In compliance with local laws, we require both staff and customers to wear masks that cover their nose and mouth while present in the stores. We also require more cleaning and attention to personal hygiene than ever before. We expect all team members to be kind to themselves, colleagues, and customers. It is our priority to do our part and to keep our community clean and safe.
Due to the health crisis, our hiring procedures have changed. We conduct all interviews over Zoom, rather than in person. If you are interested in following up on the status of your application, please email Sarah.Heath@TatteredCover.com. We retain all applications for two (2) years, but it is a good idea to send an email every three (3) months if you are still available for employment at Tattered Cover. If the details of your application have changed, please feel free to email Sarah.Heath@TatteredCover.com to update your information.
Job: Digital Content Coordinator
This is a part-time hybrid position: the position is remote with some time spent at each Tattered Cover Book Store location. Compensation is an hourly rate of $15.60-$16.60/hour and 15-20 hours a week with the potential to expand in the future. This position reports directly to the Digital Marketing Director. This position will support the digital team with the graphics for events, social media posts, website, email marketing campaigns, in-store displays and signage.
- Administrate the creation and publishing of relevant, original, high-quality content across all digital channels.
- Design, create and manage promotions and social campaigns, being sure to integrate with company’s overall marketing campaign plan and channels.
- Design graphics to advertise upcoming events across the website and social platforms.
- Collaborate with other teams within Tattered Cover, such as outside sales department, events department, community engagement department, web store, IT, store managers, etc. to further the overall mission of the organization.
- Creating a wide range of graphics for event advertisements, webpages, email campaigns, social media campaigns, and in-store signage with Adobe Creative Suite.
What you'll love about this job:
- Flexible work schedule and hours.
- Hybrid blend of digital content work and time onsite creating graphics and content for a beloved and iconic bookstore.
- Great opportunity for a college student.
- A position where you can expand on your creativity and documented immersion in social media.
- Employee discount on all books and gift items and discounted ECO Pass option.
What we'll love about you:
- You have reliable transportation and are able to visit all current and new locations.
- You have experience and familiarity with digital content production, Google and Adobe Suite, and collaborating in a team environment.
- You can hit deadlines and briefs for multiple ongoing projects with minimal supervision.
- You appreciate brand voice and maintaining consistency across all marketing channels.
- You display in-depth knowledge and understanding of social media platforms, their respective participants (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, Pinterest, etc.) and how each platform can be strategically developed in different scenarios.
Interested applicants send a resume and cover letter to Sarah.Heath@TatteredCover.com. We are looking to fill this position as soon as possible.
Job: Vice President of Operations
Description: This is a full-time, onsite, position based out of our Colfax location with frequent travel to our other locations. Compensation is a salary of $60,000 to $90,000 annually DOE. Tattered Cover, Metro Denver’s premier indie bookseller, seeks an experienced, motivated individual to join our growing team as the Vice President of Operations. This high profile position will answer directly to the CEO and will play a critical role in ensuring our five bookstores and online operations are profitable, nimble, and innovative. Interested candidates email resume and cover letter to VP-Ops@TatteredCover.com with subject line: VP Operations Position. We are looking to fill the position by May, 2021.
- Work with the CEO and management team to set strategic direction for the stores and online operations overall, and for each location specifically.
- Working with the CEO and CFO set and exceed sales and profitability goals for each location.
- Work with HR to hire, train, and motivate the store managers in each location.
- Ensure each location meets and exceeds Tattered Cover’s legendary and rigorous customer service standards.
- Maintaining the physical space & accurate inventory for each location.
- Work with the buying team to ensure all stores feature a well-curated selection of items.
- Work with the marketing team and store managers to ensure locations present a robust schedule of profitable events, and that each location has successful in-store promotions and promotional materials.
- Ensure compliance with all local and federal laws and regulations as they apply to retail locations including COVID compliance.
- Other responsibilities as they arise.
What you'll love about this job:
- The opportunity to contribute to the success of a Colorado Landmark.
- Running daily retail operations from a global perspective.
- Taking a leadership role in the growth and expansion of a large, independent, book store.
- Varied health benefits options: employer subsidized HMO and HD health plans, dental, vision, PTO, and 401K.
What we'll love about you:
- At least five years in a managerial role, preferably in a retail or retail adjacent business.
- A strong understanding of retail finances and scalability.
- An ability to manage, inspire, and lead staff while hitting key goals set by executive leadership.
- An ability to problem-solve and work independently
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Experience with Microsoft and Google suite. Any experience with iMerchant or cloud-based retail inventory management software is a plus.
Established in 1971, Tattered Cover Book Store is one of America's premier independent bookstores, a Denver institution, a community gathering place, and an experience you can't download. Tattered Cover is a locally-owned business with an unwavering commitment to the customer and the community, with four unique stores in metro Denver, and three satellite stores at Denver International Airport. Each location offers personal service, a large, well-curated selection of new and used books, an extensive newsstand, and gifts. Tattered Cover hosts more than 600 authors, illustrators, public figures, community events, book festivals and schools annually. Tattered Cover Book Store is an Equal Employment Opportunity.
It is the policy of Tattered Cover to give equal opportunity to all qualified persons. All employment decisions are made on the basis of an individual’s qualifications, and all employees and applicants are treated equally in these and all other respects without regard to race, religion, color, creed, sex, age, national origin, ancestry, marital status (including, subject to special circumstances, marriage to a coworker), sexual orientation, gender identity, pregnancy (including childbirth, lactation and related medical conditions), genetic information (including testing and characteristics), veteran status, uniformed service member status, physical or mental disability, or any other status protected by federal, state, or local laws.
Revised January 5 2021