Quick links to what's on this page: Join Kids Newsletter --- Upcoming Events --- Writing Book Reviews for Tattered Cover --- Tattered Cover Bestseller List for Kids --- Tattered Cover's Summer Reading Program: BOOKED FOR SUMMER --- Kids Books We're Excited About --- Available Authors for School Visits
Sign up for the monthly Kids Newsletter and don't miss any of the great activities and news for kids. Join now! (Click on "Children & Family Events & Books") To view the Kids Newsletter Archive, click here.
TATTERED TALES STORYTIME! Young kids are invited to join us at Tattered Cover Colfax for a half hour of stories, activities and snacks. This event is free and open to the public.
- Tattered Cover Aspen Grove: Every Monday at 10:30 am
- Tattered Cover Colfax Avenue: Every Tuesday at 10:30 am
- Tattered Cover Historic LoDo: Every Saturday at 10:30 am
- Alex Beard: The Lying King, a picture book presentation and booksigning. FRIDAY, September 28; 7:00 pm at Aspen Grove. This event is free and open to the public.
ABOUT THE EVENT: Artist and author Alex Beard will read from and sign The Lying King. Can warthogs fly? Do tigers eat tomatoes? For answers, follow along as Warthog lies his way to the throne in this timeless, yet most timely, Tale from the Watering Hole.
- Shannon Hale, Dean Hale, & LeUyen Pham: The Princess in Black and the Science Fair Scare, a middle grade book presentation and booksigning. SUNDAY, September 30; 2:00 pm at Aspen Grove. This event is free and open to the public.
ABOUT THE EVENT: Authors Shannon and Dean Hale and illustrator LeUyen Pham will discuss and sign The Princess in Black and the Science Fair Scare. It's mayhem at the science fair and a squishy goo monster is a challenge for the Princess in Black--but luckily some science-loving princesses are on hand to help.
- Harry Potter and the Sacred Text, nonfiction picture book presentation and booksigning. FRIDAY, October 5; 7:00 pm at Colfax. Join Tattered Cover and the cast of Harry Potter and the Sacred text for a live taping, music and more! Tickets are available through EventBrite: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/harry-potter-and-the-sacred-text-tickets-49899615092
ABOUT THE EVENT: Tattered Cover Book Store is pleased to welcome Harry Potter and the Sacred Text to Denver! Harry Potter and the Sacred Text is a weekly podcast reading Harry Potter, the best-selling series of all time, as if it was a sacred text. Just as Christians read the Bible, Jews the Torah and Muslims read the Quran, we are embarking on a 199-episode journey (one chapter an episode) to glean what wisdom and meaning we can make from J.K. Rowling’s beloved novels. Join podcast hosts Vanessa Zoltan and Casper ter Kuile in their live show as they deep dive into a chapter of Harry Potter, tell stories from their own lives, and try-out a medieval religious reading practice with this modern day classic. Don't forget to bring your copy of Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix! **Space is limited for this event, seating is first come, first served.**
- Christy Mihaly: Hey, Hey, Hay!, nonfiction picture book presentation and booksigning. FRIDAY, October 5; 6:00 pm at Aspen Grove. This event is free and open to the public.
ABOUT THE EVENT: Christy Mihaly's juvenile nonfiction books have been published by Focus, Rosen, and National Geographic Kids. She will discuss and sign Hey, Hey, Hay!, a joyful rhyming story about a girl and her mother and the machines they use on their family farm to make hay.
- Gene Luen Yang - Secret Coders: Monsters & Modules, middle grade book presentation and booksigning. SATURDAY, October 6; 2:00 pm at Colfax Avenue. This event is free and open to the public.
ABOUT THE EVENT: Gene Luen Yang is the author of the bestselling middle grade Secret Coders series and his first graphic novel, American Born Chinese, was a National Book Award finalist, as well as the winner of the Printz Award and an Eisner Award. He will discuss and sign Secret Coders: Monsters & Modules, the sixth and final volume in the wildly entertaining series that combines logic puzzles and basic coding instruction with a page-turning mystery plot!
- Ketch Secor: Lorraine, picture book presentation and booksigning. SUNDAY, October 7; 2:00 pm at Historic LoDo. This event is free and open to the public.
ABOUT THE EVENT: Ketch Secor, Old Crow Medicine Show founder and Grammy award-winning musician, will present and sign his first children's book Lorraine, a sweeping, epic Americana story about the power of music and family.
- Ally Condy & Brendan Reichs: The Darkdeep, middle grade presentation and booksigning. MONDAY, October 8; 7:00 pm at Aspen Grove. This event is free and open to the public.
ABOUT THE EVENT: Ally Condie is the author of the #1 New York Times bestselling Matched Trilogy and of the middle-grade novel Summerlost, a 2016 Edgar Award Finalist for Best Juvenile Mystery. Brendan Reichs is the author of the instant New York Times bestseller Nemesis and its sequel Genesis, and co-author of the six-volume Virals series. They will discuss and sign The Darkdeep, about a group of friends who discover a hidden island and an abandoned houseboat with an array of curiosities inside. As the group delves deeper into the unknown, their discoveries--and their lives--begin to intertwine in weird and creepy ways. Something ancient has awakened...and it knows their wishes and dreams--and their darkest, most terrible secrets
ABOUT THE EVENT: Andrea Beaty is the author of the popular children's books Iggy Peck, Architect, Rosie Revere, Engineer, and Ada Twist, Scientist, and other titles. She will discuss and sign Rosie Revere and the Raucous Riveters: The Questioneers Book #1.
- Beth Vrabel: The Reckless Club, middle grade presentation and booksigning. TUESDAY, October 23; 7:00 pm at Aspen Grove. This event is free and open to the public.
ABOUT THE EVENT: Beth Vrabel is the award-winning author of Caleb and Kit, A Blind Guide to Stinkville, A Blind Guide to Normal, and the Pack of Dorks series. She will discuss and sign The Reckless Club, a new middle-grade Breakfast Club drama set in a old folks' home.
- Brandon Sanderson: Skyward, young adult, but good for older middle grade readers; presentation and booksigning. THURSDAY, November 15; 7:00 pm at Colfax. This event is ticketed and open to the public.
ABOUT THE EVENT: From Brandon Sanderson, the #1 New York Times bestselling author of the Reckoners series, Words of Radiance, and the internationally bestselling Mistborn series, comes the first book in an epic new series about a girl who dreams of becoming a pilot in a dangerous world at war for humanity's future.
Reviews should be between 40-60 words. Write 1-2 sentences on what the book is about, then another 1-2 sentences on why you loved it/why you think others will love it. (What was different about this book? What made it special? How did you connect with it?) If it works, please also say something like, "If you liked xxx book, you'll love this one." or "If you love xxx author, you'll love this one." Please only write reviews for books you loved and are passionate about. Please send your review in an email to Kristen Gilligan. We publish them on our website on the book's page, create shelf talkers in our stores and send the review to the publisher.
It's simple and fits right into any other summer reading program you may be a part of. Read a book, give us a short review, get a credit towards more books at Tattered Cover! For more info, please click here.
Tattered Cover Bestseller List for Kids (Picture Books and Middle Grade)